The Art of Thomas Allen Pauly..."The Jockeys"

Saturday, February 27, 2010

"Shore Breeze" - 2009 Illinois Stallion of the Year

Shore Breeze's owner John F. Haran receives my oil painting
at Hawthorne Racecourse on February 21, 2010


Recently, I was commissioned by Illinois Racing News to portray "Shore Breeze", the 2009 Illinois Stallion of the Year. He is a 12 year old brown horse (Danzig - Sea Breeze, by Gulch) bred by Morven Stud, Ltd.  He stands at John F. Haran's Eagle Valley Farm North.

My painting of Shore Breeze portrays him as a 7 year old stallion.  Thank you to photographer Joy B. Gilbert, she gave me permission to use her photo as reference material (I usually do my own photography, but I had a very tight deadline).

I decided to paint on a 12" x 16" maple wood panel. Many years ago, I discovered a painting in a Ralph Lauren store, it was of a horse standing in a conformation pose. It was painted in the 20's and I loved how the wood grain showed through. I believe it portrays the stallion's fine conformation without any distractions. I think it came close to how I remember that painting to look and I plan on painting more of these types.

Here are a few "At the Easel" photos of the "Shore Breeze" oil painting process.

 

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment